Saturday, February 4, 2012

My Own Hallucination

Students from various schools in Thimphu congregated at Changlimithang stadium by seven o’clock in the morning to celebrate an occasion. I was one amongst thousands at the stadium, and weather was just perfect with cool morning breeze gently touting my sleepy face. It was a historic occasion and  I was eager to participate.

After a while, I don’t recall the exact time; the chief guest started delivering his speech. We stood still on our feet; head slightly bent, with hands behind our back in a respectful posture- listening to the speech. Little did we know how hot that particular day would become; it was unbearably hot by fore-noon.

My poor legs were in agony and I desperately wanted to sit down, but as I could clearly see the chief guest standing on his feet and delivering the speech; I was determined to endure my pain out of sheer respect. It took two hours or more for the speech to end and we’re ordered to sit down on the ground by our principal. I was delighted with that, but our heads were still exposed to the unforgiving heat of the sun. The celebration itself took another few hours more, and in the scorching sun most of us were quite dizzy and exhausted. Sunburn came much later that day.

Then after what seems like eternity to me; the celebration ended and students dispersed lethargically from the stadium. I was very giddy and extremely thirsty, and wanted to do nothing more than to have some sip of icy-cold water. As I peered towards the main gate, to my delight, holding a bottle of cold water was my maid-servant Yanki and she seems to be looking for me in the crowd of student that was passing by the gate. I sprinted towards her joyfully shouting her name as fast as my aching legs could allow—for a nice soothing drink.

I dashed happily toward her and yelled out her name loudly again, and when I was just about to get near the main gate her sight fell on me at once and she gave me her usual lazy smile. Without saying another word I grabbed the bottle and gently pulled towards me, but to my utter shock and dismay- she didn’t let it go, in fact she was tightening her grip on the bottle.

Annoyed beyond measure, I glared at her face panting. By then I didn’t have any energy to yell at her, so I said nothing. A moment ago Yangki was standing in front of me and now as I looked closely at her for a second time, I was staring at a complete stranger’s face, and she had a puzzled expression on her face. Oh my god, I couldn’t believe my eyes; it was just a hallucination but very vivid one, and Yangki was never there. I was equally shocked and puzzled as she, and I let go off her bottle at once. I was mortified and I quickly apologized, and speed-walked away from the gate.

And then, as I looked outside from the gate, I saw my family except Yanki - she went back to her village a few months ago. I was very happy to see them and I demanded a chilled Frooty which I devoured it empty in a few gulps.

4 comments:

Please leave some nice words!