Friday, February 3, 2012

A Noble Job of Criticism

The world simply cannot stand without criticism. The world would be dark and grey without it. Strong men need it to nurture them. The weak ones need it to attack others.

Despite its barbaric nature and the emotional trauma it bring along, criticisms have a vital role. If you observe carefully, criticisms have positive impact in our life.
Criticisms, be it positive or negative, has a great bearing in our life.

Ever wondered why Japan’s automobile industry is so successful? Thanks to criticism. Japanese took it positively and turned Japanese cars (Junk cars as it were called then) into one of the finest cars in the world. There are many examples of criticisms bearing positive results.

Well, it all boils down to one’s own take on it. It depends on one’s attitude and how well one can handle it. Criticisms can kill people. So, take it positively. You have just one life to live.  

It is also true that it hurts. It pricks and pains. What good things don’t? A medicine meant to save life comes with a needle. And it pricks and pains. But be grateful that it saves life. It is also true with criticisms. It can be medicine if you know how to take it.

When I was in my high school, people used to call me names which I am sure some people would still remember me solely by those names. I admit that I was hyperactive and never bothered to act in a ‘normal’ way. Society here loves people with reserved nature who don’t do much not-so-expected things. A few would say it on my face while others, behind my back. I was looked down clearly as a bird of a feather that would not flock together. People diagnosed my eccentric behavior as stemming from my deranged mind. I was a mental patient to them. And you know the names that would ensue.

I didn’t give much thought to it initially. As time went by, many people including my close ones started saying those things about me. It hit me like a bit of a shocker. They were my well wishers. And it forced me to think it over. And I gave a good thought to it.

Nothing seemed wrong with me. I admit I was bit impulsive and a happy-go-lucky kind of guy. I loved fun and friends. But for my friends and others that was not it. I was mentally unstable to them. It shook me and I started being unhappy with myself. My self-esteem and my self-confidence started hitting rock bottom. I even went to visit a psychiatrist.

And there, people visiting psychiatric chamber are mildly stigmatized. I went in and spelled my woes and possible mental diseases. The doctor in the chamber asked me a few questions, nodding and saying ‘oh! I see’, ‘ah’, ‘yes’ and ‘go on’. And he ruled me out that I am … not a mental patient!  I wasn’t confident in his diagnosis. I argued with him and told him that my friends and most people find me a way weird. I asked him to do more tests. I was sure I had some mental problem. What they told me seemed so real and true. But the doctor told me something which is etched in my brain; ‘People will tell you one hundred and one things. Don’t believe every word they say. And you are fine young boy. Take pride in that.’ I finally believed in him.

I took it positively and mended my way. I made criticisms my friend. I was hurt no more. I am ‘normal’ now.

In some ways, I think they were right in saying those things. But what matters more is how you tackle those criticisms. Heed to it and be a better person! 

4 comments:

  1. i liked your medicine and needle example very much....never thought about it. well in the end be it criticism or any other discrimination .....positive attitude is all that matters. rem!!! a rose would remain a rose alys !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rose analogy is very fitting. Thank you, Y!!!. I feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well reflected dude... I too believe that "Criticism should be taken as gently as the rain that nurtures a plant's growth, but not so harsh that it ruins the very root of it".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, u k. Well said. Keep visiting... :P

    ReplyDelete

Please leave some nice words!